Serves - 4 / Serving Size - 1 piece
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Nonstick cooking spray
2/3 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup whole wheat or white panko
(Japanese-style bread crumbs)
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp smoked or regular paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 small bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned [used boneless, skinless breasts]
(1-1/2 to 1-3/4 pounds total)
1. Preheat oven 375ºF. Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with foil and coat foil with cooking spray; set aside. Pour buttermilk into a medium bowl. In another medium bowl combine panko, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
2. Dip chicken pieces into buttermilk, allowing excess to drip off. Coat chicken pieces in panko mixture and place, bone sides down, in prepared pan. Coat tops of chicken pieces with cooking spray.
3. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink (170ºF). Do not turn chicken pieces during baking
Exchanges/Carb Choices: 0.5 starch / 3 lean meat / 1 carb choice
Calories - 184 Sodium - 278mg
Total Fat - 3g Total Carbs - 11g w/net Carbs - 9g
Saturated Fat - 1g Dietary Fiber - 2g
Cholesterol - 71mg Protein - 26g
Source: Diabetic Living Diabetes What To Eat, A Better Homes and Gardens Book
- This recipe is as easy as it sounds. The 20 minute prep time is a stretch to me. You can easily get this prepped in 10 minutes.
- Even though I've done another recipe with panko bread crumbs (Parmesan Chicken with garlic & herbs), it's just whichever one your taste buds are in the mood for.
- Honestly, you can't go wrong with this one.