Serves - 6
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
1 cup of basmati rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled & grated
1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled & minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper (or more if desired) [I omitted]
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Combine the rice and chicken broth together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, and steam for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
2. While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until tender. Add the carrot, ginger, and garlic to the onions and cook, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes. Add the rice to the mixture along with the cilantro, sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and dash of cayenne pepper. Stir gently so all ingredients are well combined. Serve immediately.
After running a Nutrition analysis, here are the Nutrition Facts:
Calories - 153 Sodium - 271mg
Calories from Fat - 20 Total Carbs - 28.2g w/net Carbs - 27g
Total Fat - 2.2g Dietary Fiber - 1.2g
Trans Fat - 0g Sugar - 1.7g
Cholesterol - 0mg Protein - 4.2g
Source: Pinterest http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2011/01/carrot-ginger-rice.html
- Even though the directions state to start cooking the other items while the rice is cooking, wait until the rice is almost done. Otherwise, everything else will be ready but the rice.
- Next time I will use a wooden fork to stir this so the rice will stay nice and fluffy.
- Hhmmm, so what can I pair this with again this week??!!!