Serves - 4 / Serving Size - 4 chicken strips
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5-7 minutes
vegetable oil spray
2 cups bite-size, low-fat cheddar-cheese flavored crackers
1/2 to 3/4 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless checken breasts or turkey breast tenderloins, all visible fat removed
2 Tblspn skim milk
1. Preheat oven 400º. Spray a shallow baking pan with vegetable oil.
2. Place crackers, basil, and pepper in a large plastic bag with a tight-fitting seal (leave end open so air can escape) and use a rolling pin to crush the crackers. Or place crackers, basil, and pepper in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process until finely crushed; transfer to large plastic bag. Set aside.
3. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut into 16 strips, about 1x3 inches each. Dip chicken in milk. Add chicken strips, a few pieces at a time, to bag with cracker mixture. Seal bag and shake until chicken is coated. Place coated chicken in a single layer on prepared baking pan.
4. Bake, uncovered 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
For Cheesy Nuggets
Prepare recipe as above except cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Bake for 5 minutes or until tender and no longer pink.
Exchange information not provided -
Calories - 212 Sodium - 292mg
Calories from Fat - 77 Total Carbs - 14g w/net carbs - 14g
Total Fat - 5g Protein - 27g
Saturated Fat - 1g Cholesterol - 62mg
Polyunsat - 1g
Monounsat - 2g
Source: American Heart Association Quick & Easy Cookbook by the American Heart Association
- To add a little spice, sprinkle a little Tabasco and voilà you have a healthy version of buffalo chicken tenders.
- And for those who don't want cheese, you can either use Club crackers [chicken strips in the second dish] or Ritz crackers.