Servings - 9
Preparation Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 to 30 minutes
1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3 Tblspn sugar [used Splenda blend]
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
2 Tblspn canola oil
1. Preheat oven 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk and oil in a separate bowl. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
3. Bake the cornbread until the top springs back when touched lightly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Exchanges/Carbohydrates: 1 starch / 1/2 vegetable / 1 lean meat / 1/2 medium-fat meat / 2-1/2 fat
1-1/2 carb serving
Calories - 164 Sodium - 287mg
Total Fat - 5g Total Carbs - 27g w/net Carbs - 24g
Saturated Fat - 1g Dietary Fiber - 3g
Monounsat Fat - 2g Protein - 5g
Cholesterol - 22mg
- After reading the one review that comes up on the same page with the recipe, I also went with white whole-wheat flour.
- Because I used the Splenda blend, I only used 2 Tablespoons.
- I was happy to find a recipe that was fairly low in carbs for the serving size!
- Definitely making this my "tried and true" recipe