Serves - 4 / Serving Size - 1 cup filling & 2 cups salad
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey [used shredded chicken]
2 large plum tomatoes, diced
1 14-oz can kidney beans, rinsed [used black beans]
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese [use Mexican style grated cheese]
1. Combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring often and crumbling with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, cumin and chili powder; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 1/4 cup of the salsa mixture.
3. Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture in the bowl; toss to coat. To serve, divide the lettuce among 4 plates, top with the turkey mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
Exchanges/Carb: 1 starch / 2 vegetable / 4 lean meat / 1 carb serving
Calories - 447 Sodium - 629mg
Total Fat - 19g Total Carbs - 27g w/net Carbs - 17g
Saturated Fat - 8g Dietary Fiber - 10g
Monounsat Fat - 5g Protein - 42g
Cholesterol - 108mg
Source: Eating Well http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/taco_salad.html
- Having just made salsa, I had enough to use in this recipe as well as for chips.
- I didn't think the sharp cheddar cheese would work with the shredded chicken. So instead used Mexican style grated cheese. Talk about a distinct flavor too.
- Also added a small can of corn - yes, added color and the benefit of another veggie.
- Definitely had leftovers of the filling. Recommend you reheat the filling to get the most out of the flavors.